Photos can convey a lot of information: mood, emotion, actions, ideas, locations, historical details, and more. However, many photos have fascinating stories behind them that the image itself cannot tell.
MyHeritage provides an excellent way to capture and share the stories behind your old family photographs: the Photo Storyteller™, a feature on the MyHeritage mobile app that allows you to record up to 1 hour of audio that will remain attached to a particular photograph in your albums.
One of the great uses for family photos in a genealogical context is as a tool for jogging memories. Sometimes, when interviewing a family member, showing them a photograph will help them remember stories and details that they may not have thought of if you’d simply asked them about their pasts. Using the Photo Storyteller™, you can record their stories right then and there and ensure that generations to come will hear them directly from the horse’s mouth.
Even if you’re the one telling the story, there’s something much more personal and direct about hearing a voice recording as opposed to reading a written testimony.
How to use the Photo Storyteller™
The Photo Storyteller™ is currently available only on the MyHeritage mobile app. Here’s how to use it:
- Open the MyHeritage app on your mobile device and tap the “Photos” icon on the home page.
- Select the photo you’d like to record a story for.
- Tap the microphone icon on the lower right corner of the screen.
- Tap the red button to start recording, and the “Stop” button to stop recording.
- You can play back your recording and choose to save it or delete it.
- Once your photo has a story attached, it will appear with a “Play” icon on the lower right corner. Tap the “Play” button to hear the recording. You can also delete the recording, or share it as a video that plays the recording over the image of the photo.
For more detailed instructions, see this blog post: Introducing the MyHeritage Photo Storyteller™